The Mechanics’ Institute Review Issue 15 – Call For Submissions
The Mechanics’ Institute Review, Birkbeck’s annual short-story anthology, is now inviting submissions for Issue 15 from writers across the UK.
The Mechanics’ is a literary print and ebook publication that aims to champion the short story as an art form, promoting diversity, inclusivity and opportunity while publishing new work of the highest possible standard. Thanks to funding from Arts Council England, The Mechanics’ has gone national, widening its reach to find and develop talent from throughout the country. We are looking for unpublished short stories of up to 6,000 words from both new and established authors. The deadline for submission is 5 p.m. on Friday 9 February 2018. Full details are given below.
– Short stories of up to 6,000 words. Flash fiction is welcome – there is no minimum word limit. (While the upper limit is 6,000 words, writers should be aware that space is limited; the longer the stories, the lower the overall number we’ll be able to include.)
– One submission per person per issue. If you are submitting only flash fiction to an issue, your submission may comprise one, two or three (the maximum) flash-fiction pieces, to a combined total per issue of 2,250 words.
– The work must be previously unpublished. If you are submitting it elsewhere at the same time as to The Mechanics’ and it is accepted by a publication with an issue date earlier than ours (27 September 2018), please let us know immediately by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will withdraw it from consideration.
Who: Any UK resident is eligible to submit.
How: Using the submissions form on this page (see below).
Document format: This year, we are asking that submissions be copied and pasted into the submission box below. This helps us to ensure that your work is read anonymously. Please do not include your name or any other identifying details in your pasted submission. If you feel that this will remove formatting or images essential to your work, please mention this in the covering information.
Deadline: The deadline for submission is 5 p.m. on Friday 9 February 2018
– The editors’ decision is final. We will aim to contact everyone by Friday 11 May 2018. We regret that no formal feedback can be given if your submission is not selected. However, some of the stories not selected for The Mechanics’ Issue 15 may be considered for publication on our website, MIROnline.
– Our limited budget means we are not in a position to pay contributors a fee. However, their work will be professionally copy-edited, they will receive a complimentary copy of the book and will be invited to attend events including the launch, readings and a workshop on reading their work aloud.
– Copyright remains with the author.
– If you have any queries, please email email@example.com.
– For more information about MIR, see @Editors_MIR on Twitter, Mech Review on Facebook or the MIR in Print page of the MIROnline website.